We were thrilled to recognize two long-standing area businesses for their contributions to our community at this year’s Annual Meeting, held November 8, 2017.
Prosperity in Business – Awarded to O’Connor’s
This award recognizes a business for its commitment to help create an environment of growth and prosperity and to create a better quality of life for all. The criteria for nominations include:
- Business success and positive impact on the community demonstrated by increased employment, training and educational opportunities for staff and community, investment in new business growth.
- Flexibility and adaptability in a changing business world; commitment to improving the customer experience.
- Innovative business strategies (e.g., business expansion, start-up, new services, etc.) that have guided the business to a new level of growth and achievement.
O’Connor’s has been a strong, stable business in downtown East Tawas that has adapted to changing business conditions and continued to thrive in the community. The business has been a stable employer, and has trained students through the co-op program in the past. They are a model for customer service with their ability to remember customer gift ideas and their return and exchange policies. O’Connor’s supports the community by sponsoring events to promote our area and investing in the community through donations and volunteering. Their business has been and continues to be an anchor in our community attracting visitors to the Tawas area.
Strength in Community – Awarded to Klenow’s Market
This award recognizes an extraordinary commitment to the community that has a significant positive impact on the image, economy, and vibrancy of the Tawases. The criteria for nominations include:
- Dedication to the community through contributions of time, talent, and resources.
- Support of community functions through involvement, leadership, and sponsorship activities.
- Creating meaningful opportunities for growth in the areas of public image, business activity, tourism and engagement.
Klenow’s Market has been a business staple in downtown East Tawas for 117 years. In that time, the business has grown and expanded and now includes home smoked products such as bacon, sausage, a variety of jerkys and award winning smoked fish. They also provide approximately 15 jobs for people living in the community. Klenow’s has been an active supporter in our community during their long history. They are actively involved in sponsorship of the annual Blues by the Bay Festival, Tawas Uncorked & Untapped, Perchville USA and pretty much all of the activities that go on in our community. Steve Klenow has also dedicated his time to serve on the East Tawas City Council for many years. So many people who grew up here or visited East Tawas have great childhood memories of being sent down to Klenow’s to pick up a pound of hamburger or some other key ingredient for dinner – because it usually meant that they got a treat for themselves, too. Klenow’s is a primary stop for so many campers and visitors to Tawas. Many even return throughout the year to make off-season meat purchases. Klenow’s is a magnet that continues to draw people to the Tawas area year-round.